The Cookoo watch originated out of Bluetooth low energy work developed by Connected Devices. After the company approached numerous watch companies, Connected Devices decided to create their own smartwatch, which they launched on Kickstarter in May 2012. After initially shipping with an iOS application, the company released in Android beta app in August 2013.
- Models: One (multiple colors)
- Pricing - $129 MSRP
- Smartphone compatibility: Android (4.3), iOS 7
- Connectivity: Bluetooth Low Energy
- Water resistant: Yes
- Third party apps: No
- Display Type : Analog for the clock. Digital for Connected Display.
- Watch Movement : Japanese analog movement
- Watch Material : Plastic casing, stainless steel bezel and case back, anti-scratch glass with soft silicon band
- Case Diameter : 44mm
- Case Thickness : 16.3mm
- Bluetooth : Bluetooth® 4.0, Bluetooth Smart, Bluetooth Low Energy
- Water Resistant : 5 ATM
- Warranty : 1 year
- Color : Blue, Pink, Silver, Black and White. Limited edition in Green.
The COOKOO watch is based on work done early on by Connected Devices on Bluetooth low energy. In early 2012, Connected Devices started discussions with watch manufacturers about the possibility of using their technology for a smartwatch, but after some initial interest but no agreements, they decided to make their own smartwatch. They launched their Kickstarter campaign in May 2012, just after Pebble broke Kickstarter records for their smartwatch, and the company raised over $300 thousand from 2,560 backers.
The company started to ship watches to their Kickstarter backers at the end of 2012. At the time of shipments and through the first half of 2013, the COOKOO smartwatch worked only with iOS devices, but in early August 2013 the company finally released its Android app into beta, but currently the Android app is only compatible with the Samsung Galaxy S4.
The company is currently shipping the COOKOO watch worldwide primarily through online retail and some retail. In the US, the company sells the device through AT&T stores and through Brookstone. The also sell in other markets, such as Dixon in the UK, Turkcell in Turkey, and other locations.
A direct link and a full transcript of this interview is here.